This refreshing salad blends the warm taste of fine Italian extra virgin olive oil with the bright flavours of fennel, lemon and orange for a delightfully light dish. One of the things that makes Italian cuisine so extraordinary is its mixing of unique flavours, textures and aromas. And this easy-to-make salad captures that quality perfectly.
Ingredients (serves 2 to 4)
- 3 Medium fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
- 3 Oranges, peeled and sliced
- 6 tbsp Italian extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Lemon
- Salt, pepper to taste
- ½ cup (15g) Fresh chopped fennel tops
- Using a mandoline, shave the fennel as thinly as you can. Set aside.
- Peel and slice oranges. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil and the juice of the lemon. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Put the sliced fennel in a medium serving bowl. Gently toss the dressing and fennel together.
- Garnish with fennel tops and orange slices. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
Premium ingredients like Italian extra virgin olive oil make combining ingredients easy. Whether it hails from the North, Centre or South, authentic Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oils are considered the best in the world. Their fruity flavour and irresistibly smooth mouthfeel is the perfect secret ingredient for everything from pastas to salads.
Fennel is an equally versatile food in the classic Italian kitchen. The cultivation of fennel began in the Mediterranean in the 16th century and is cherished has a mild anise flavor and is especially popular in salads because of its texture and crunch.