Notice: wpdb::prepare was called incorrectly. The query does not contain the correct number of placeholders (2) for the number of arguments passed (3). Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 4.8.3.) in /home/italianmade/public_html/ca/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4147
Quartered radicchio served straight off the grill is made even more satisfying when topped with a creamy sauce made of authentic Italian Gorgonzola PDO cheese. Radicchio, a member of the chicory family, is a staple food of Italian cuisine. Its vibrant purple-red colour adds visual interest on the plate, and its crunchy texture provides delight to the palate.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 2 heads Radicchio lettuce, quartered
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Italian extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup (30 g) Walnuts
- 10 tbsp (150 ml) Cream
- 3.5 oz (100 g) Gorgonzola PDO
- Remove the outer leaves of the radicchio. Wash and cut into quarters.
- Brush the quarters with extra virgin olive oil.
- Grill on a hot griddle on both sides for about 5 minutes, or until softened.
- While grilling the radicchio, put the cream and gorgonzola in a medium-sized saucepan. Stir over a low heat until the cheese has melted.
- When the radicchio is ready, place it on a serving plate and drizzle with the Gorgonzola sauce and walnuts. Serve immediately.
One of the simplest ways to elevate the taste of radicchio is to quarter and grill it—cooking this leafy vegetable softens its flavour and makes it warmer to the taste buds.
To make this dish even more decadent, top the radicchio with a sauce made with authentic PDO certified Gorgonzola—one of the world’s oldest blue-veined cheeses. Produced mainly in the northern Italian regions of Piedmont and Lombardy, this premium cheese is available in two textures, dolce, which is sweet and soft, and piccante, which has a spicy taste and a soft, crumbly texture.
To further complement the complex textures of this recipe, add a sprinkling of freshly cracked walnuts.