Notice: wpdb::prepare was called incorrectly. The query does not contain the correct number of placeholders (2) for the number of arguments passed (3). Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 4.8.3.) in /home/italianmade/public_html/ca/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4146
Mozzarella di Bufala Campana PDO combined with sliced tomatoes and basil is a classic Italian dish, finished with a drizzle of refined Italian extra virgin olive oil. Keeping dishes simple—basic yet flavourful—is a cornerstone of Italian cuisine. As always, the quality of the ingredients is the most important factor when preparing any dish.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 8 oz (25 g) Mozzarella di Bufala Campana PDO
- 3 Large, ripe tomatoes
- Italian extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Salt to taste
- Handful of fresh basil leaves
- Slice the Mozzarella di Bufala Campana PDO and tomatoes crossways, ¼ inch (6.35) thick. Arrange them on a plate, alternating between the two ingredients.
- Drizzle with authentic Italian extra virgin olive oil and top with salt to taste.
- Garnish with a generous sprinkling of fresh basil leaves. Serve at room temperature.
Often known as insalata caprese—translating to salad of Capri—this classic Italian dish is said to be an homage to Italy’s tricolour flag featuring green, white and red. The star ingredient of this recipe, Mozzarella di Bufala Campana PDO, is made exclusively using whole buffalo milk. Its fresh, stringy texture and creamy, mild flavour perfectly contrasts the tangy, bright flavours of tomatoes and basil.
Although other variations of this recipe suggest topping with balsamic vinegar, the classic version of this dish uses only Italian extra virgin olive oil to finish.