Fall was harvest season for olives in Italy and we needed no further encouragement to share a recipe that not only highlights the exceptional flavours of Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil, but also incorporates many of our favourite Italian-made ingredients.
Egg pasta with fava beans, Provolone Valpadana DOP and black truffles
- 320g egg pasta
- 1.5kg of broad beans (or 375g shelled fava beans)
- 2 mature tomatoes
- Italian extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 10 leaves of basil
- 100g (approximately) of Provolone Valpadana DOP, cut into small cubes
- 1 black truffle
- If using shelled broad beans, remove them from their pods, place them in boiling water and allow to boil for about 2 minutes to soften. Drain and immediately run under cold water. Once cool enough to handle, peel or gently squeeze the beans to release them from their skin.
- Skin the tomatoes, take out their seeds and cut their pulp into cubes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauce pan and brown the garlic. Add the beans and cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomato and basil. Stir. Season with salt and pepper and continue cooking for a few more minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta al dente in salted water according to package instructions. Strain and add the pasta to the sauce. Add the cheese and serve on warm plates.
- Garnish with truffle slices.